Birth doulas offer physical, emotional and educational support to mothers and partners throughout pregnancy, labour, and the postpartum period.
As a birth doula and naturopathic doctor, Lauren offers compassionate care from conception, throughout pregnancy, to labour, delivery and beyond. You may also choose to access continual care with me as a naturopathic doctor and primary care provider in the months and years to follow for both yourself and children.
- A birth doula can help care for you in your pregnancy by:
- Offering objective information to parents to help make informed decisions about birth
- Assisting in preparing and carrying out a birth plan
- Assisting in emotional and physical support during labour
- Facilitating communication between mothers, partners, and maternal care providers (MCP) such as midwives, and OB/GYNs.
- Offering natural techniques and remedies for heartburn, nausea, vomiting, bloating and other pregnancy related symptoms
- Providing care and strategies for postpartum healing
A naturopathic birth doula differs from other birth doulas in that the ’toolbox’ of naturopathic medicine can be used to assist in care throughout pregnancy and labour (such as nutrition, supplementation, herbs, homeopathic medicines, acupuncture, and various techniques for easing the challenges of labour).
A naturopathic doula gives you the added benefit of working with a medical professional educated in the physiology of birth, and all naturopathic doula services are covered by most extended healthcare benefit plans. Be sure to contact your insurance provider to check your plan for Naturopathic coverage.