Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) or cold laser therapy is a therapeutic modality that uses light energy (photons) to help facilitate tissue healing and pain reduction. This is just one of the many treatment options that I, as a Chiropractor, offer my patients to help them feel and move better. Low-level laser therapy is a very safe treatment with minimal documented risks. It can be offered as a sole treatment for those where manual therapy is contraindicated or not preferred, but more often than not, it is used in combination with other forms of treatment to get the best results.
How Does it Work?
The light energy that is produced by the laser penetrates through the skin and is absorbed by the mitochondria in our cells. The light energy is then converted into biological energy, which is used to speed up the healing process that naturally occurs when we get injured.
For those of you who forget cellular biology, mitochondria are considered the “power producers” of our cells. These organelles generate power by converting energy into something that the cell can use in order to maintain optimal cellular function.
What Are The Effects of Low Level Laser Therapy?
- Increased micro-circulation and formation of new blood vessels locally at the site of injury.
- Accelerates bone and soft tissue repair by stimulating the cells to make the building block materials.
- Stimulates and improves nerve function.
- Reduces inflammation and swelling.
- Reduces or eliminates acute or chronic pain.
What Conditions May Benefit from Low Level Laser Therapy?
Based on the research and literature:
- Arthritis (osteo and rheumatoid)
- Repetitive strain injuries (eg. carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, bursitis)
- Acute muscle or joint sprains and strains
- Chronic pain conditions (eg. fibromyalgia)
- Headaches (eg. migraines, sinusitis, tension type headaches)
- TMJ / Jaw pain.
- Shoulder injuries (eg. rotator cuff tears, impingement syndromes, frozen shoulder)
It would be unusual for patients to get full relief or resolution from their pain symptoms after their first treatment. It generally takes a series of treatments ranging from 6 to 25 on a more frequent basis in order to get the best effects from low-level laser therapy.
If you are interested in seeing if low-level laser therapy is right for you, you can book a free 15-minute consult with me here.