With all the information we’ve learned during our clean beauty month, you may be left wondering — what are some good alternatives to your current personal care products?
Avoiding chemicals shouldn’t mean being deprived of conveniences we’ve become accustomed to, or missing out on things we find beautiful.
So then, what’s a Healthoholic to do?
Easy. Try some DIY beauty!
This week, we’ve put together a list of some summer must-try replacements you can make yourself, using essential oils and just a few natural ingredients.
And, in addition to serving the purpose they’re titled for, these essential oils have a slew of other therapeutic benefits.
So look at you! Chemical free, AND multi-tasking! Now that’s how we Healthoholics like to work. 😉
(Many thanks to our friends at NOW Essential Oils who provided us with these awesome recipes.)
Interested in more about clean beauty, essential oils, or DIY solutions? Join us at Healthoholics for our FREE Clean Beauty night on Monday June 26!
- Bring in your favourite products for a label review / clean replacement;
- Speak with our Holistic Nutritionists about supporting your beauty goals from the inside out;
- Check out guest speaker Jen Novakovich from the Eco Well, talking about Essential Oils and DIY beauty;
- Experiment and sample some awesome, LOCAL, clean products!
Without further ado, here are some awesome DIY beauty recipes to get started with.
1) Bug Repellant:
A great alternative to dangerous chemical bug sprays containing DEET! As per Health Canada, repellents containing citronella protect people against mosquito bites for 30 minutes to two hours. These products should not be used on infants and toddlers.
Citronella Oil (must)
Lemongrass Oil (must)
Geranium Oil (may help protect against ticks)
Lavender Oil (optional)
Peppermint Oil (optional)
Cedarwood Oil (optional)
Witch Hazel, 355 mL bottle
- Pour the witch hazel into a larger glass jar and add your essential oils. Approximately 15 drops of citronella and lemongrass, and 10 drops of your optional oil(s), such as lavender. Geranium is an optional oil for regular bug spray and may be helpful for tick protection.
- Close the jar tightly and shake well until it is all mixed. (mixture will be cloudy) Pour into a spray bottle for use and label correctly.
- Use on exposed body parts and rub in. Don’t spray in your face or eyes! Spray on a small area first if concerned with allergies to any ingredients – especially children.
- You can also spray around the area where you are sitting outside. (Be careful as oils may stain wood and fabrics!)
2) Scented Wellness Bath Salts
Who doesn’t feel beautiful after a bath? Make your bath both relaxing and therapeutic by adding Epson salt! Combined with sea salt and NOW essential oils, this bath salt is the perfect relaxation solution to end a busy day.
Glass jar with lid
2 cups Epson salts
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup sea salt
20-30 drops of lavender essential oil
5-10 drops of vanilla essential oil
- Mix it up! In a large mixing bowl, combine the Epson salt with the sea salt; mix well.
- Scent it sweet! Add the lavender and vanilla essential oil, mixing well to incorporate. Slowly add more lavender oil until it smells as fragrant as you like.
- Carefully pour the salt into your glass jar and enjoy 1⁄4 cup per bath.
3) Whipped Body Butter
This Body Butter is extremely nourishing and great for babies or sensitive skin. Add your NOW essential oils to create your own perfect scent.
- In a double boiler or glass bowl, combine all ingredients except essential oils. Bring to low/medium heat and stir constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Move to fridge and let cool another 30 minutes or until starting to harden but still somewhat soft. Add your essential oils.
- Use a hand mixer to whip for a minimum of 5 minutes until fluffy. Return to fridge for 10-15 minutes to set. Store in a glass jar with a lid and use as you would regular lotion or body butter.
4) Coffee Exfoliating Scrub
Coffee is a known stimulant and can actually assist the body in breaking up fat deposits close the skin’s surface. NOW Grapefruit and Cypress oils are also excellent supporters of the lymph system.
- Measure your coffee and pour into a large glass bowl. Add your jojoba, almond or olive oil and mix well with a metal spoon.
- Add your essential oils and continue to stir your mixture. Slowly scoop into your glass jar.
- Close tightly with lid and label.Store in a cool, dark place.
- To use, scoop out a tablespoon of scrub and apply to body.
5) Allergy Control Formula
Puffy eyes and a runny nose hardly make for beautiful day! Try this recipe to help alleviate allergy symptoms this summer.
- Combine ingredients in a NOW® 30ml dropper bottle.
- Use as needed in multiple applications such as:
- 30 drops in 30ml (1 oz) carrier oils for spot application on the skin
- 6 drops in a diffuser
- 12 drops as a cleaning formula
6) Yoga Mat Cleansing Spray
Working on your inner beauty by finding your zen? Keep your mat free from sweat and bacteria the natural way, so you can feel comfortable sinking into your next child’s pose and breathe deeply.
60 mL empty glass spray bottle
1 Tbsp. alcohol free witch hazel
3 Tbsp. distilled or filtered water
6 drops of Tea Tree Oil and 14 drops of Spike Lavender Oil
10-20 drops of NOW® Solutions Peace & Harmony Oil Blend
- In an empty spray bottle, pour 1 Tbsp. of witch hazel (or vinegar).
- Add in your NOW® essential oils, a drop or two at a time, of your preferred oils, until you reach your ideal scent.
- Fill the remainder of your bottle with 3 Tbsp. distilled water.
- Adhere spray top to the bottle and then shake well. Now you’re ready to clean!
- To Use: Shake before each use. Spray yoga mat generously with your cleansing spray on each side after use. Wipe down with a clean cloth, or hang and allow to dry completely.
7) Radiant Hair Serum
Show your hair some natural love with this easy to make serum!
- Pour NOW® Solutions Castor Oil into an empty dropper bottle (you can use 3 Tbsp. distilled water and 1 tsp. witch hazel if you are going to apply it frequently and desire less oil, or already have oily skin / hair).
- Add in your NOW® Solutions essential oils.
- Tightly adhere the dropper top to the bottle and shake well.
- To Use: Apply serum to your scalp each morning. Wait 20 minutes before washing your gorgeous hair. You can also apply before bed.
8) Men’s Natural Cologne
A great way to smell amazing – minus harmful fragrances!
- Remove the roll-on applicator and pour your NOW® Solutions essential oils into an empty roll-on bottle.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with the NOW® Solutions fractionated liquid coconut oil (or another light carrier oil such as grapeseed or apricot).
- Carefully secure your roll-on top and lid to the bottle and lightly shake. Store in a cool, dark place.
- To Use: Apply to the pulse points as needed and enjoy your new masculine scent.
What other natural recipes would you like to see? Comment below and let us know!